A few months ago when I started building our shed Holly suggested using pallets since the majority of our funds were going towards moving expenses. Ever since then I’ve been building just about everything I need with them. The pallets we get are 8′ x 30″. I had a bunch of chicken wire left over from some previous projects as well as nails, screws, and the roofing. The only things I had to purchase were a few sets of hinges and a turnbuckle. Total cost was less then $30.
The hardest part was breaking down the pallets but keeping the slats intact. My oldest son Noah and I figured out a pretty good method. We bought a sawzall (pawn shop special $35) and used a blade specifically for “wood with nails”. We were able to get the blade in-between the slat and the 2×4 and cut directly through the nails. It’s a bit time consuming but I can’t really complain considering it’s free wood. The run is made out of PVC. It was the original chicken coop that we built when we first moved in. We just needed a quick and lightweight place to keep them until we decided on a more permanent location. Once we got the big coop built we just attached it as the run. The final dimensions were roughly 8′ long X 6′ wide x 6.5′ high at the peak and 5′ high in the back. I may eventually put wheels on it to move it, but I’m going to try leaving it where it is for a while and using our chickens as our primary composters. We’ll see how it goes.